As the cold weather starts to set in, make sure you’re not left out in the cold and check your heating system.
This handy heating system repair checklist will help you check for common faults and what needs to be done to fix them to keep you and your home warm. Whether you have a pellet stove, HVAC or furnace heating your home this checklist will help solve some common issues.
Pellet stoves are an efficient way of heating your home but in order to get the most out of your pellet stove and make sure it works faultlessly for you throughout the cold season, follow this checklist:
Read through maintenance information specific for your pellet stove.
If you use your furnace fan-blower to circulate heat, make sure your ducts are clean. Professionally cleaning your ducts will improve the air quality of your home.
Change your furnace filter prior to using the blower.
If you don’t have an auto-ignition make sure you have plenty of fuel starter stocked.
If you need to order parts or schedule service, do that right away.
There are many forms of heating systems and here’s our guide to the most popular.
Heating System Repair Checklist
Cleaning Your Pellet Stove
- First thing’s first, remove the ash from the burn pot. Using an ash vacuum is recommended as it will prevent ash from causing a mess.
- Use your cleaning tool to remove carbon deposits, including scraping the burn pot.
- Clean the exchanger tube by removing the carbon build up in it. This can be done using the lever on your pellet stove.
- Clean the front window of your pellet stove to remove carbon build up and ash.
When your pellet stove is clean it will run more efficiently and will be less likely to break. If you notice anything faulty or broken on your pellet stove have it repaired as soon as possible.
Maintaining your HVAC is important to keeping an efficient and effective heating system. Help stop problems developing in the future by maintaining your HVAC system properly.
- Check the heat pump.
- Check thermostats to ensure they are set at the correct temperatures.
- Check wiring and electrical connections.
- Check the ignition burner assembly.
- Check for gas pressure.
- Lubricate all moving parts such as bearings and motors.
- Replace filters every 30 to 90 days.
- Replace frayed belts and pulleys.
- Clear drain lines and pans of standing water to prevent overflows.
- Inspect the flue system and make sure it is securely attached to the furnace.
- Carefully inspect heating elements or heat exchanger. If these get damaged, they could lead to problems with carbon monoxide. If you own a gas furnace, the technician will check for gas leaks.
Shop HVAC Parts Here
Checking your furnace in a good working order before the winter cold sets in can mean all the difference. No one wants to be left mid winter with a faulty boiler.
- Heat Exchanger – These may develop cracks over time. Replace these as soon as possible if faulty as broken heat exchangers may cause health issues.
- Burners – Remove and clean if necessary, dirty burners may cause issues long term with your furnace. Poor combustion is inefficient too.
- Fan Switch – Don’t waste energy and check & adjust your fan switch properly.
- Pilot Light & Assembly – Make sure your pilot & assembly are clean and adjusted if necessary. Faulty pilot & assembly systems can cause your furnace to shut down unexpectedly.
- Temperature Check – Check that your furnace reaches appropriate temperatures. This can indicate the performance of your furnace and any issues it may have.
- Panelling – Ensure all panels are in good condition and secured properly. This can be dangerous if not checked and will also be inefficient if left faulty.
- Air Filter – Check the air filter is clean and unrestricted.
- Thermostat – if your thermostat is faulty or not calibrated properly this can lead to inefficiencies in your heating. Check and replace as soon as possible.
With the above heating system repair checklists your heating system should be in tip top shape for the cold weather now. If you are unsure about anything regarding your heating, call a technician to come and have a look.
Discover high quality replacement parts